Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Jesus' Baptism

   I'm absolutely positive that about 3 minutes ago I remembered everything I was going to write....and now my mind is blank. I will just start writing and hopefully something engaging will come.
   We didn't get to do a lot of biking this last week because Elder Rodriguez's bike broke and we had a member fix it (Sorry Dad, I have failed you. I can't do diddlysquat when it comes to bike repairs). But it worked out ok because we didn't really stay in Brawley much. We had to travel up to Westmorland and Calipatria (two of the little towns about 20 minutes away from Brawley) a lot this week. We found this super awesome family and we had some really spiritual lessons this past week.....and then the members that have been visiting them with us told us that they were baptized into another church this past Sunday.....and on Monday we had a lesson and everything and committed them to be baptized.....awkward. haha Well I guess you win some and you lose some. We can't decide if we should keep on teaching them or not ;)
   Also, JESUS WAS BAPTIZED!!!!! No, I'm not talking about the account in Matthew 3, I'm talking about the 12 year-old wonder named Jesus Velasquez! Him and his dad are so awesome, and are so happy to be members of the church! Another kind of awkward moment- they had to leave church after sacrament meeting on Sunday because Jesus' older brother was getting baptized in another church that he and his mom go to.....again, you win some and you lose some :) haha to say the least we have had some interesting experiences this past week.
   We have a family that lives in the middle of a date farm, and their daughter works in the Westmorland Date Shake, which is a little store that sells all sorts of weird things, but mostly just date shakes. I have a new found love. How come nobody ever told me that dates were super delicious!?
   This week I have been thinking a lot about leaving our comfort zones. There are so many people out there that just won't listen to our message because they are "good where they're at." Applying this to myself, how many opportunities have I passed up because I was too afraid to leave my comfort zone? Who isn't really nervous or even scared of change/the unknown? There is a series of short videos by Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles called "Patterns of Life" where he describes how sometimes we feel like we are surrounded in a mist of fog, and we can't see in any directions. He explains how we want an immediately flash of light, or an absolute knowledge of where we are going or what we should be doing. But the Holy Ghost almost never works like that. Normally our path is lighted just enough ahead to take a few steps, and then another few steps, and so forth. We don't even recognize that it's the Holy Ghost until we've taken those first few steps and try it out! That has been our focus this week- following the Holy Ghost. It's hard, but our path is already made for us by a loving Heavenly Father, who is guiding us little by little. Hope that made sense!
   I love you all! Have a great week!

Elder Dahl

1. Loving that date shake! And they gave them to us for free!!!!!

2. This guy just came waltzing into the Laundrymat this morning. Coolest ride in town.

3. For some dumb reason we decided to eat here...the only restaurant in Westmorland.....notice how there are no people eating here with us....there's a reason for that. Gross tacos!!!!!

4. How many people live here again? And what the what is that a river? The farmers are super good at irrigation systems here!



4. Me and my beastly companion! Elder Rodriguez is a stud!

5. I got sad and hid in the cabinet....oh the weird things we do...

6. This is Hermana Chabolla! Is an a super awesome member that lives up in Calipatria and has chickens and a turkey! I love it here!

7. Chicken Selfie!
8. Elder Rodriguez cleaning out the cockroaches from the baptismal font....yeah it's gross.


9. I saw my friend, Sister Sommers, was reppin the "abandoned shopping cart" look, so I decided to follow suit!

10. We get a little crazy out here in the valley!





No comments:

Post a Comment