Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Halfway Done


I'm not sure everyone appreciates that fact that I am spell checking Trevar's emails.....I have spent 15% of my life saying "hey Trevar, how do you spell suchandsuch?" so basically if things are spelt wrong...it's still my fault! So there's that. -lauren 


Well I´m halfway done here at the CCM, which is crazy. It´s been a really great time so far, and I´m super excited to get out to San Diego, but I´ll also be really sad to leave my friends here.

First, my district. What a bunch of awesome, valiant, megasupergreat people. We wake up at 6:30, get to the classroom at 7:00, go to breakfast at 7:30, then we´re back in our classroom until 12:30. Then lunch, gym time, and back to the classroomat 3:00. Stay there until 6:00, then we have TALL time (Technological Assisted Language Learning....something like that) and back to the classroom until 9:30. Then we go back to our dorm and get ready for bed, write in our journals, talk and wind down until 10:30 when we go to bed. Needless to say I´m with the same 9 other people ALL DAY LONG. But they´re like my Mexican family, and it´s been super awesome being here with them. We learn together, study together, laugh together, decide what superpowers we want together......it´s so fantastic.

Second, so I don´t think I´ve commented on how I´m in Mexico......my bad. Mexico is beautiful. Beautiful plants and birds and mountains make Mexico so great. We have some crazy rain storms, which remind me of Ohio (people here freak out and don´t know what to do as I´m like skipping and jumping through puddles). We do have laundry machines, but I still have to wash some of my gym clothes by hand because......well you can imagine me working out in Mexico.....more like my whole apartment can smell me, so that´s been eye-opening. Also, the CCM campus is 90 acres of land surrounded by a really beautifully built wall that´s low enough that you can see out into the city. IT´S GORGEOUS! For our service activity this week I got to sweep the walls in some of the classroom buildings. Yes, the walls. That´s Mexico.

Third, Spanish. I´ve had some great progress this week! I can say a whole bunch of stuff! But you guys probably want to hear the embarrassing stuff, so here ya go. While practicing with my companion, he was pretending to be Catholic and said something about the Pope, and I accidentally replied by saying, "Well you see, the potato".....and my companion was already on the ground laughing. Gotta remember EL papa is the pope and LA papa is potato. Also, we were teaching one of our investigators (Joana, who is actually Hermana Arno playing a role), and I asked Elder Johansen to pray. So naturally I bowed my head, closed my eyes, folded my arms, and listened. But in his prayer he was describing how to pray, which I thought was weird because we were planning on talking about that afterwards, but it´s all good. So he got to the end and said Amen, and I, in a very loud voice, said Amen.......psych. When I opened my eyes and looked at him he then started his actual prayer........I was laughing SO HARD! So I´ve still got some work to do. My district also conjugated my name. Trevar in Spnaish now means "To be like Elder Dahl" and we conjugated it into every possible form. It was amazing.

Spiritual time. This week I´ve been obsessed with the Book of Mormon scripture Alma 26:12 
Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.
Trevar Dahl is not capable of a lot of things. He struggles with his self-esteem. He struggles with speaking English AND Spanish. He struggles with trusting others and opening up to them. He struggles every minute of everyday. HOWEVER, Trevar Dahl has God on his side, and with this knowledge, Trevar Dahl is able to do ANYTHING! I cannot boast of anything that I do, but I WILL ALWAYS boast of my God!

I NEED YOUR HELP! I have no contact information for anyone. I would love to write you and send you letters once I get to San Diego, but I need you to send me your contact information! Thanks! Also I hope Lauren is spell checking my e-mails because I have no time to go through and look over it. So sorry.

Oh there´s so much more to tell, but alas I´m out of time. If you have any questions feel free to ask! I would love some prompts for my super random letters like this one. Stay happy, and know that there is someone in Mexico praying for YOU (spoiler alert, it´s me)!!!!

Elder Trevar Wayne Dahl

No comments:

Post a Comment