Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Life in Paradise



I´m pretty sure time is different here in the CCM (Mexico MTC). Everyday seems like an eternity, but I never want the day to end because there is so much for me to do and learn. I don´t know where to begin, but here we go.

First, the food here is totally fine. In fact it´s even delicious sometimes. Mexican food here is the bomb, and we´ve even had pizza twice (I got Hawaiian both times Lauren) in six days, so that´s cool. I live in a dorm room with five other guys, two to a room. Needless to say I wish we had another bathroom, but we somehow manage. 

So some unexpected opportunities entered into my life this week. I thought I was going to be in the beginner Spanish class....PSYCH...they put me in intermediate. Needless to say I was never very good at Spanish, and I haven´t even thought about Spanish in over a year. The natives love to talk to you, but they only speak Spanish, so I basically cry every time I see someone look at me. My teacher only speaks in Spanish, which has been......an experience for sure. The first day I literally caught maybe 15% of what she was saying. Now I probably get about 75%, but it is SO HARD! And my speaking is still horrible, but definitely improving.

My teacher, Hermana Arno, is so nice to me though. Picture a small, cute, little Mexican woman, but then throw in some sass, a sense of humor, and an amazing ability to feel the Spirit, and you´re about half way there to understanding how awesome she is. She even sometimes speaks in English (cause she´s totally fluent) to really get the point across to us. I couldn´t have asked for a better teacher.

Our branch presidency called me to be the district leader this week. So I have 9 other missionaries (7 elders and 2 hermanas) in my district that I serve. It´s been an interesting challenge, mostly because I´m supposed to be the leader, but my Spanish is by far one of the worst in the class. But serving my district (and my district is made of some of the best people ever) has been a super awesome blessing this week.

My companion is Elder Johansen from Virginia Beach, Virginia. His Spanish is AMAZING and he is really knowledgeable, but I´m not sure if you will ever find two missionaries more different than the two of us. He can be a little distracting....well actually super distracting sometimes. We´ve had our share of struggles and even arguments these past six days, so needless to say I LOVE HIM SO MUCH! I never would have picked him to be my companion, but he teaches me so much everyday!

We had our first investigator, who only speaks in Spanish, on the second day........it´s been crazy, but I will have to tell you more about that next week because I am out of time.

I NEED YOUR HELP! I need all of the prayers and thoughts that I can possibly receive! This is easily the HARDEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE! Ever. In my whole life. But this has also brought me the most joy that I have ever experienced! I wish I could write more, but I have to go! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!

Elder Trevar Dahl

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are doing great. 75% understanding is a huge improvement for just one week. Now comes the speaking it fluently part! Ha ha! (says the girl who served in Iowa and didn't need to learn a foreign language.) You are in our prayers. Ellie remembers to bless the missionaries in every prayer, including mealtimes. Perhaps that's the reason your food has been good. :)

    ReplyDelete