Friday, December 5, 2014

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Mine was really awesome! We ended up having two thanksgiving dinners, which probably wasn't our smartest idea, but somehow we managed. haha I am so thankful for my wonderful family, my opportunity to serve as a missionary for Jesus Christ, and my obsession with goats!

The Lord sure does work in mysterious ways! I want to share two highlights of this past week for me!

1. We took Janet, one of our investigators, to the Mormon Battalion on Wednesday. We were so excited because it was going to be a fantastic lesson with her, but also super fun for us too. The Mormon Battalion Museum is amazing. If you ever come to San Diego and you don't check it out, then you're missing out because it's great. So we left with PLENTY of time to make our appointment- we got on the bus, took it to the trolley, and got about a third of the way when I asked Elder Welch to send her a text saying when we would be there. He just looked at me and said, "I don't have the phone, you have it"........but I didn't have it....that is I didn't have it since I set it down on the bench at the bus stop back at our apartment!!!! That was a 25 minutes ago at a busy bus stop, and we had no way to find Janet once we got to our last trolley stop! So we had to go back for what was surely going to be the worst nightmare of my life. The whole 30 minutes of traveling back I was just praying. Praying that the phone would be there, praying that Janet would be able to go and feel the Spirit, praying to help me stop being an idiot.....you get the idea. So about an hour after we left the bench we were coming back. and we looked out the window of the bus as we passed.....and there it was. That stupid little black box that is so central to us doing the work here....still sitting on that bench. That phone should have been gone in a heart beat. Oh the power of prayer is really quite ridiculous. God surely does watch out for his missionaries, but let's just say I haven't been holding on to the phone for the past week or so.....

2. We didn't have a single investigator come to church today.....and we were supposed to have at least 4. That kills a missionary on the inside...and for me on the outside too. I was so upset. We also had some AMAZING lessons planned for later that night because we were having an activity to go see the lights at the San Diego temple, but now we couldn't go because everyone had bailed, and we had no idea why! So we made our way back and just said a prayer along the lines of, "Heavenly Father, our plans are ruined. We have no idea what to do, and we need to be guided by the Holy ghost more now than ever.....please help us." And you know what? We had AN AMAZING DAY! We were able to add 4 new investigators, visit with a lot of potentials, and set up a lot of appointments for the rest of the week! The Lord's hand is in our lives in all that we do! I am so sure of it!

I'm so grateful to be a missionary. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is real, and it is here in its fullness on the earth once again, which is pretty cool. Please take advantage of that. Also check out this video that the Church just put out: christmas.mormon.org      I'll talk about it more next week! Love you all so much! Go do something awesome today!

Elder Dahl

Look at that Thanksgiving table! I couldn't get over it! 

Mexican turkey! haha It was delicious! (that's Hermano Medina in the picture!)

La familia Medina has a pet turtle......that's the coolest thing ever. It was huge. 

2 comments:

  1. I thought for sure there was a goat story coming up, but nope. I love the little ways that the Lord shows us he's aware of our situation and takes care of us. Like a phone that was apparently made invisible for an hour. Hope there was some mole for that turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Tell my kids there Is nothing to small or big to pray about! Thankful for your recovered phone and your wonderful holiday

    ReplyDelete